1. " Black hair doesn't grow." The lies you tell! Who started this nonsense? Well sis, let me tell you when they told that story, they were bored and their feet stank, ok?! Otherwise who would say such a fallacy. Hair grows on average 1/2" per month, 6" per year, 60" for every decade. Ok that last part might be a bit of an exaggeration.
2. "All naturalistas know their hair type." Ma'am... My head in particular has all of 'em! So, what I am not about to be able to do is tell anyone, " Hello my name is Kanisha, and I am a 4c." No. I can't I must have been an overachiever in the womb, because I have all the types all over my head. I am not alone in this. Many people have multiple hair textures. You do not have to fit in one box.
3. "All natural girls need heavy oils". Hard pass. Actually, we all need to stay away from the petroleum. Unless it is super cold, you are probably ok with a light oil to seal in your moisture. Remember, Jojoba oil is the closest to the body's natural sebum. When it is cold, try a butter.
4. "You're not natural if you wear a weave." Whhhatttt? Listen the weave is NATURALLY cute, right! But more than that, your hair under it is not treated with any chemicals. If there is no a relaxer, or derivitative, you have natural hair.
5. "Black hair doesn't need to be shampooed." Black hair needs to be cleaned. Healthy hair
starts with a healthy scalp, and a healthy scalp is a clean scalp. Some people want to only co-wash. Co-washing is ok. You can absolutely do that, if you alternate with shampoo at least one out of the 4 sessions. Don't forget to use a sulfate free shampoo.