Wouldn't you love it if growing a head full of hair was a piece of cake? Well, hair growth does have a lot to do with what you eat, but cake isn't on the menu. Neither are fries and burgers, guys! Come on, you know better!
Don't fret, there are lots and lots of delicious foods that do contribute to hair growth!
Hair is made up of protein molecules that clump together inside the follicle and slowly emerge from the scalp into the strands we love to style, fry, color, and cut. We are also produce sweat sebum in those same follicles. That is a lot of stuff that can come from each one of those tiny holes in our scalp. No wonder we need lots of nutrition to keep up with it all!
Here is a list of our favorites:
1. Eat lots of lean protein! Great sources of protein are soy, quinoa, chicken, eggs, hemp, tempeh, beans, and legumes.
2. Spinach. Popeye was on to something! Spinach has large amounts of vitamins A, C, and E.
3. Walnuts, Avocados, Almonds, Flax, Chia, Spirulina (that is actually an algae), Salmon, Tuna, and Mackerel are high in Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
4. Don't forget your vitamin C from fruits and berries. The antioxidants are a must have to protect the strands from free-radical damage.
5. Yogurt gives you good bacteria for your gut to digest and absorb the other nutritious foods, plus some vitamin D.
6. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamins A, and C.
7. Last but not least, whole grains have the iron, zinc, and the biotin you need for efficient cell multiplication.